Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cycle or Circumstance?

After looking at everyone's podcasts, I think it is safe to say that the time period after WWI was definitely a time of growth and change. New technology was being invented, new ways of providing entertainment, new ways of self-expression through the arts, new philosophies on life, new views about women's status, new borders and new economic problems. It seemed as though everything during this time period was revolutionary. I can't help but compare this to today, where whenever we blink it seems as though something new is being invented, thought of, or made. Now maybe because we are a part of this time, but I can't seem to pinpoint a catastrophic event such as WWI to which we can blame this current 'revolution.' So I was wondering what all of you thought: were the supposid effects of WWI really all caused by WWI, or do you think maybe there is a cycle and some generations just bring about change more than others?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! I think the former. WWI definitely drove those changes (after all, wouldn't you reject the world that brought you 4 years of absurdity and destruction?), and I think the extremity of WWI created an extreme generation. Relating post-WWI to today, I think we are experiencing a revolution in communication technology as we did then. In the 1920's war technology transformed into consumer technology. Today, global competition is driving the rapid development in communications technology. That said, I do not think it was the people, I think it was the times.

    ReplyDelete