Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Lost Generation

I thought it was really interesting how WWI appears to be the beginning of more humanistic ways of living and thinking. I think this is probably because they lost all faith in the more conservative and religious-based views of the past, like Hemingway said "abstract words such as glory, honor, courage or hallow were obscene." This generation saw so much pain and suffering through the war, they felt shafted by the older generation, whose ideals, they thought, caused the war in general. Their reaction to the pain was change. This time period saw more change than any other previous time. The way people thought, dressed, spoke, and entertained were all being revolutionized. While today we look back and see this as a positive change, many people were still hurting, for example Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and many other great artists of the time. So my question is was all the suffering worth it? Would all the social pay-offs and advancements in society have been possible without the eye-opening effects of the war?

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection Tess-I think you bring up a lot of valid points. We will never truly know the answer to your questions- but I myself seem to believe that no amount of progress is worth that type of suffering! Maybe things wouldn't have panned out the way they did, but society is always progressing and I think we still would have moved forward just maybe not in the same ways...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So nope, I don't believe the progress was worth the suffering but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete